Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Worst

About three weeks ago I decided that we would have breakfast for dinner (I believe it is called 'brinner'); I was planning on cooking the usual - sausage, eggs, and pancakes. So, I proceeded to begin cooking the sausage patties just as instructed on the package and went to get the pancake mix out from the pantry, only to discover that we had enough mix to make about 1/2 of a pancake. Okay, so we will have eggs and sausage, and maybe English muffins. As I was cracking the eggs in the pan, I noticed that the yolks were fluorescent green and smelled like an outhouse, which I'm sure can never be a good thing. Now we're down to sausage and English muffins. So assuming, having followed the directions, the sausage is done, I take it out and attempt to serve it, only to find that it isn't even cooked yet...so back in the pan it goes. Eventually, Ryan & I were able to enjoy a dinner of sausage patties and English muffins. According to Ryan, this was the worst.


So, this brings me to today - I am confident that I have had by far the worst experience of my entire life; Emerson had to go in for her first round of immunizations. I was worried about this all day long and I tried to explain to Emerson what would happen at the doctors and she just kept smiling at me. She had one oral immunization, which was not a problem, however, the problem lied in the three injections that went into her tiny little thighs. My poor little baby turned the brightest shade of red, cried like I have never heard her cry before, and shed a lot of big tears. I was able to hold her while they conducted this torture, so I was able to soothe her a bit.... I think I needed, and still need, more soothing than Emerson did. She seems to have forgotten about the events of this afternoon and is back to cooing and smiling. I still feel like I need a Xanax.

In other, and happier, news from the doctor: Emerson weighs 10 lbs. 14.5 oz, which puts her at the 50th percentile for weight, and is 24.5 inches long, which puts her at the 95th percentile for height. She is one tall, skinny baby....


Some pictures from happier days....

3 comments:

The Beck Family said...

Unfortunately this is only the beginning of the shots, and it's also the easiest time. Much better than holding down a four year old:). At least she'll never remember it.

Alyjean said...

Goodness knows, being a Mom is all about moments like this. Your child being momentarily traumatized, you soothing and trying to make it all better...and you do. They go on smiling, you need a vacation from the stress of the whole situation. That 2 month visit is the worst. You can look forward to the nine month visit - no shots. No tears from anyone.

The James Family said...

In your mind you know it will only help her but... it still sucks! I feel your pain... did you cry? I know I did for Charlie and Sophia's 2 month is on Monday... I hope I can be brave for her:)